Subject collection: Cardiovascular development and regeneration
- FGF signaling enforces cardiac chamber identity in the developing ventricle
Summary: The FGF signaling pathway suppresses plasticity in the developing ventricle by promoting ventricular chamber characteristics and inhibiting atrial gene expression via Nkx factors.
- Cooperative activation of cardiac transcription through myocardin bridging of paired MEF2 sites
Summary: In mice, bridging of paired MEF2C-bound MEF2 sites in a cardiac enhancer of the Prkaa2 gene by the transcriptional co-activator myocardin promotes cooperativity between the two homotypic elements.
- Development of a human cardiac organoid injury model reveals innate regenerative potential
Summary: Human cardiac organoids, which represent immature tissue, show an innate regenerative response and robust recovery after cryoinjury without pathological fibrosis or hypertrophy.
- The E3 ubiquitin ligase Nedd4/Nedd4L is directly regulated by microRNA 1
Summary: The cardiac-enriched microRNA miR-1 negatively regulates the E3 ubiquitin ligase Nedd4L, which ubiquitylates many proteins and controls heart development in Drosophila.
- Blood vessel anastomosis is spatially regulated by Flt1 during angiogenesis
Summary: During mammalian blood vessel formation in vivo and in vitro, Flt1 regulates both the frequency of transient contacts that occur before vessels form stable connections and target site selectivity.
- Identification and in silico modeling of enhancers reveals new features of the cardiac differentiation network
Summary: The analysis of chromatin landscapes, complemented by a machine learning approach, identifies active promoters and enhancers in Drosophila cardiomyocytes, including many new enhancers and their associated transcription factor motifs.
- Syndecan 4 controls lymphatic vasculature remodeling during mouse embryonic development
Highlighted article: Perturbation of syndecan 4 in mouse embryos reveals a new mechanism of fluid shear stress-mediated signaling involving syndecan 4-dependent upregulation of the PCP protein Vangl2.
- Heartbreak hotel: a convergence in cardiac regeneration
Summary: This Meeting Review summarises the key advances presented at the recent Company of Biologists workshop on Transdifferentiation and Tissue Plasticity in Cardiovascular Rejuvenation.