Subject collection: Stem cells & regeneration
- Heartbreak hotel: a convergence in cardiac regeneration
Summary: This Meeting Review summarises the key advances presented at the recent Company of Biologists workshop on Transdifferentiation and Tissue Plasticity in Cardiovascular Rejuvenation.
- Plant regeneration: cellular origins and molecular mechanisms
Summary: This Review article summarises how plants control various types of regeneration and discusses how developmental and environmental constraints influence these regulatory mechanisms.
- Spinal motor neurons are regenerated after mechanical lesion and genetic ablation in larval zebrafish
Summary: Regeneration of spinal motor neurons following mechanical lesion or genetic ablation occurs at the expense of oligodendrogenesis and is promoted by the innate immune system.
- Developmental origin and lineage plasticity of endogenous cardiac stem cells
Summary: This Review summarises the different stem cell populations that have been described in the adult mammalian heart, as well their developmental origin and lineage potential both in vivo and in vitro.
- Lineage-specific stem cells, signals and asymmetries during stomatal development
Summary: This Review summarises the transcription factor and epigenetic control of stomatal development and patterning, highlighting similarities between plant and animal developmental mechanisms.
- The BAF chromatin remodelling complex is an epigenetic regulator of lineage specification in the early mouse embryo
Summary: Associations of BAF155 with other BAF complex subunits are enriched in extra-embryonic lineages prior to implantation, while changes in BAF155 levels modulate the expression of early developmental markers.
- Concealed expansion of immature precursors underpins acute burst of adult HSC activity in foetal liver
Summary: A quantitative approach reveals how the pre-HSC pool undergoes dramatic growth in the AGM region and, by E11.5, reaches the size that matches the number of definitive HSCs in the E12.5 foetal liver.
- Gene expression profiles uncover individual identities of gnathal neuroblasts and serial homologies in the embryonic CNS of Drosophila
Highlighted article: Characterisation of the neural stem cells in the gnathal head region completes the mapping of all individual neuroblasts that generate the Drosophila CNS.
- An in vitro model of hemogenic endothelium commitment and hematopoietic production
Summary: A new model for understanding the earliest steps of hematopoiesis is based on the in vitro recapitulation of hemogenic endothelium commitment from quail pre-somitic mesoderm.
- Asialoglycoprotein receptor 1 is a specific cell-surface marker for isolating hepatocytes derived from human pluripotent stem cells
Highlighted article: Expression of cell surface protein ASGR1 can be used to isolate a subpopulation of more mature, homogenous hepatocyte-like cells derived during differentiation from pluripotent stem cells.