- Towards a CRISPR view of early human development: applications, limitations and ethical concerns of genome editing in human embryos
Summary: This Spotlight article discusses the use of CRISPR-based genome engineering in human embryos and the emerging themes therein.
- Insights from imaging the implanting embryo and the uterine environment in three dimensions
- Mechanical stress mediated by both endosperm softening and embryo growth underlies endosperm elimination in Arabidopsis seeds
Summary: Elimination of the Arabidopsis endosperm during seed development involves a developmental programmed cell death process requiring cell wall modifications and mechanical stresses imposed by embryo growth.
- Eph/ephrin signaling maintains the boundary of dorsal forerunner cell cluster during morphogenesis of the zebrafish embryonic left-right organizer
Summary: During formation of the Kupffer's vesicle (KV) – the left-right organizer in zebrafish – Eph/ephrin signaling prevents KV cells from intermingling with adjacent cells.
- Quantitative imaging of lipids in live mouse oocytes and early embryos using CARS microscopy
Summary: CARS microscopy provides a novel and non-invasive method of quantifying lipid content, type and spatial distribution in living mouse oocytes and pre-implantation embryos.
- Lhx2 is a direct NF-κB target gene that promotes primary hair follicle placode down-growth
Summary: Loss of LHX2 replicates a subset of the phenotypes seen in embryos with reduced NF-κB signaling, while exogenous TGFβ2 can rescue this effect in Lhx2 knockout skin explants.
- Concealed expansion of immature precursors underpins acute burst of adult HSC activity in foetal liver
Summary: A quantitative approach reveals how the pre-HSC pool undergoes dramatic growth in the AGM region and, by E11.5, reaches the size that matches the number of definitive HSCs in the E12.5 foetal liver.
- 4D atlas of the mouse embryo for precise morphological staging
Summary: This comprehensive developmental dataset, which combines optical projection tomography and image registration methods, provides a new and powerful staging system for mouse embryos.
- Human pancreas development
Summary: This Review presents a human-centric view of the latest advances in our understanding of pancreas development and the relevance of these insights from a clinical perspective.