- Setd5 is essential for mammalian development and the co-transcriptional regulation of histone acetylation
Highlighted article: Mouse Setd5 mutants are embryonic lethal with strong cardiovascular phenotypes. Setd5 interacts with PAF1C and NCoR complexes to regulate co-transcriptional chromatin modifications.
- Genome-wide analysis of spatiotemporal gene expression patterns during early embryogenesis in rice
Summary: Using laser capture micro-dissection followed by array hybridization, the temporal and spatial gene expression changes occurring during rice embryogenesis are captured.
- Neurogenic gene regulatory pathways in the sea urchin embryo
Summary: Molecular screens and knockdown studies reveal that SoxC and Brn1/2/4 function sequentially during neurogenesis in sea urchin embryos and are required for the differentiation of all neurons.
- SOX9 modulates the expression of key transcription factors required for heart valve development
Summary: Transcriptional targets of SOX9 in developing tissues mapped by ChIP-Seq reveal that SOX9 mediates cell proliferation as well as differentiation during embryonic heart valve formation.
- Building a plant: cell fate specification in the early Arabidopsis embryo
Summary: This Review summarises our current understanding of the early stages of plant embryogenesis, with a focus on how the major lineages are specified.
- On human development: lessons from stem cell systems
Summary: A recent Company of Biologists Workshop brought together a diverse group of scientists with a common interest in understanding human development.