- The physics of organoids: a biophysical approach to understanding organogenesis
Summary: This Spotlight article discusses some interesting applications of physics in organoid research, from computational modeling of organoid biology to understanding mechanical aspects of organ development.
- Sequential organogenesis sets two parallel sensory lines in medaka
Summary: Two parallel sensory lines in medaka share a common origin and are composed of identical organs that are, nevertheless, generated through different morphogenetic programmes.
- An exclusive cellular and molecular network governs intestinal smooth muscle cell differentiation in vertebrates
Summary: Lineage tracing approaches in zebrafish reveal that intestinal smooth muscle originates from the lateral plate mesoderm. Migration and differentiation of these cells involves TGFβ signaling.
- Localization of planarian β-CATENIN-1 reveals multiple roles during anterior-posterior regeneration and organogenesis
Summary: Immunohistochemistry reveals an anteroposterior gradient of nuclear β-CATENIN-1 in the adult planarian, with the lowest levels in the pre-pharyngeal region and the highest levels at the tip of the tail.
- Centrosomal protein CP110 controls maturation of the mother centriole during cilia biogenesis
Highlighted article: CP110 promotes the assembly of subdistal appendages and ciliary vesicle docking during cilia formation in vivo, thereby facilitating mammalian organogenesis.
- Stomach development, stem cells and disease
Summary: This Review highlights the molecular mechanisms of stomach development and discusses recent findings regarding stomach stem cells and organoid cultures, and their roles in investigating stomach diseases.
- Two Forkhead transcription factors regulate cardiac progenitor specification by controlling the expression of receptors of the fibroblast growth factor and Wnt signaling pathways
Summary: Checkpoint suppressor homologue and Jumeau, which are known to govern cardiac progenitor cell divisions, play additional, mutually redundant roles in specifying cardiac mesoderm in Drosophila.
- At new heights – endodermal lineages in development and disease
Summary: A recent Keystone meeting brought together researchers interested in diverse aspects of endoderm development and highlighted recent major advances in the field.