- Shh promotes direct interactions between epidermal cells and osteoblast progenitors to shape regenerated zebrafish bone
- Tissue-specific roles for sonic hedgehog signaling in establishing thymus and parathyroid organ fate
Summary: SHH signaling within both the neural crest and endoderm influences thymus and parathyroid cell fate establishment and subsequent organogenesis.
- Lizard tail skeletal regeneration combines aspects of fracture healing and blastema-based regeneration
Summary: Proximal and distal regenerated lizard tail skeletal regions form independently from different cell sources and in response to different signals.
- Rx3 and Shh direct anisotropic growth and specification in the zebrafish tuberal/anterior hypothalamus
Summary: During zebrafish tuberal/anterior hypothalamus development, Shh and Rx3 govern the formation of a distinct progenitor domain that elaborates pattern through its anisotropic growth and differentiation.
- A shared role for sonic hedgehog signalling in patterning chondrichthyan gill arch appendages and tetrapod limbs
Summary: Shh signalling polarises skate gill arches and maintains proliferative expansion of gill arch appendage endoskeletal progenitors, mirroring the function of Shh signalling in the tetrapod limb.
- Sonic hedgehog controls enteric nervous system development by patterning the extracellular matrix
Highlighted article: Gut epithelium-derived sonic hedgehog acts indirectly on the developing chick enteric nervous system by regulating the composition of the intestinal microenvironment.
- Morphogen rules: design principles of gradient-mediated embryo patterning
Summary: This Review discusses similarities between the mechanisms patterning the Drosophila blastoderm and the vertebrate neural tube, suggesting a set of principles for morphogen-patterned tissues.
- ProNodal acts via FGFR3 to govern duration of Shh expression in the prechordal mesoderm
Highlighted article: In the chick prechordal mesoderm, the Nodal precursor proNodal acts via a non-canonical route to inhibit BMP signalling and thus maintain Shh expression
- Progress and renewal in gustation: new insights into taste bud development
Summary: This Review article discusses how taste buds are established during development, highlighting the cellular and molecular mechanisms governing taste cell formation and turnover.
- Duration of culture and sonic hedgehog signaling differentially specify PV versus SST cortical interneuron fates from embryonic stem cells
Summary: Mimicking development, production of parvalbumin versus somatostatin cortical interneurons from embryonic stem cells can be controlled just by modulating culture duration and exposure to sonic hedgehog.